Chang Liu Associate Professor
Office ：Ocean building 521
Tel：00 + 86 159 0180 6848
Mailing Address：School of Ocean and Earth Science, Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092, China
03/2008-02/2013: Ph. D of Geophysics (Coeducation)
?cole Normale Supérieure, Paris (01/2010-02/2013)
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (03/2008-12/2009)
09/2002-09/2005: China University of Geosciences (Beijing), Geophysics, M.Sc
09/1998-09/2002: Jianghan Petroleum University, China, Geophysics, B.Sc
03/2019-08/2019 Visiting Scientist, School of Geosciences, the University of Sydney, Australia
03/2017- : Associate Professor, School of Ocean and Earth Science, Tongji University, China
11/2015-03/2017: Research Scientist, School of Earth Science and Geological Engineering, Sun Yat-sen
09/2013-10/2015: Postdoctoral fellow, Institute of Geophysics, Huazhong University of Science and
02/2013-08/2013: Research Associate, Department of Geosciences, University of Calgary, Canada
09/2005-12/2007: Engineer, Beijing Koncrete Engineering Company, China
Numerical modelling geodynamic process of Earth tectonics:
1. Develop mechanical models of inter-seismic stress accumulation and crustal deformation to understand the cause for earthquake generation
2. Faults interaction and earthquake triggering
3. Mantle-lithosphere interaction process and its influence on the generation of intraplate earthquake
4. Lithospheric deformation including mountain building, rifting, initiation of subduction/faulting
1.Numerical modelling stress evolution and seismic hazards of the Xianshuihe-Xiaojiang-Longmenshan fault
system based on 3D fine fault structure (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2020-2023,
Investigator: Chang Liu, 1 million RMB)
2.Fault interaction process of the XianshuiHe-Xiaojiang-LongmenShan fault system and its control on seismic
hazards of the eastern Tibetan Plateau (Natural Science Foundation of Shanghai, 2019-2022, Investigator:
Chang Liu, 200 kRMB)
3.Crust and mantle structure of the marginal seas of the western Pacific Ocean and generation mechanism of the mega earthquakes. (Project grant for MGG, 2018-2019, Investigators: Chang Liu, 400kRMB)
4.Stress Change induced by the 2014 Kangding earthquake and its influence on the hazard of the seismic gaps in the Longmen Shan fault zone. (Project grant for young researchers in SYSU, 2016, No. 16GPY10, Investigators: Chang Liu, 150 kRMB)
5.Analysis of earthquake hazard at the seismic gaps in the Longmen Shan fault zone based on 3D numerical modelling (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2015-2017, No. 41404075, Investigators: Chang Liu, 250 kRMB)
18. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Shi, Y.L., 2020. Do the two seismic gaps in the southwest Longmen Shan fault present the same seismic hazards? Journal of Geophysical Research (Solid Earth), 123, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JB018160
17. Liu, C.*, Dong, P.Y., Zhu, B.j., Shi, Y.L., 2018. Stress shadow on the southwest portion of the Longmen Shan fault impacted the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake rupture. Journal of Geophysical Research (Solid Earth),123. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JB015633
16. Liu, C.*, Dong, P.Y., Shi, Y.L., 2017. Recurrence interval of the 2008 Mw 7.9 Wenchuan earthquake inferred from geodynamic modelling stress buildup and release. Journal of Geodynamics,110:1-11.
15. Liu, C.*,Dong, P.Y.*, Shi, Y.L., 2017. Stress change from the 2015 Mw 7.8 Gorkhar earthquake and increased hazard in the southern Tibetan Plateau. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 267: 1-8.
14. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Shi, Y.L., 2016. Lithospheric rheology and Moho upheaval control the generation mechanism of the intraplate earthquakes in the North China Basin. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 121:153-164.
13. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Yang, X.L., Shi, Y.L., 2016. Geodynamic background of the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake based on 3D visco-elastic numerical modelling. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 252:23-36.
12. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Yang, X.L., 2015. Crustal rheological strength heterogeneities control the formation of continental plateau margin. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 107: 62-71.
11. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Yang, X.L., Shi, Y.L., 2015. Crustal rheology control on earthquake activity across the eastern margin of the Tibetan Plateau: insights from numerical modelling. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 100: 20-30.
10. Liu, C.*, Zhu, B.J., Yang, X.L., 2015. How does crustal shortening contribute to the uplift of the eastern margin of the Tibetan Plateau? Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 98: 18-25.
9. Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., Zhu, B.J., Cheng, H. h., Yang, X.L., 2014. Crustal rheology control on the mechanism of earthquake generation at the Longmen Shan fault. Chinese Journal of Geophysics, 57 (2): 404-418. (in Chinese)
8. Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., Zheng, L., Zhu, B.J.,2012. Relation between earthquake spatial distribution and tectonic stress accumulation in the North China Basin based on 3D visco-elastic modelling. Chinese Journal of Geophysics, 55(12):3942-3957. (in Chinese)
7. Liu, C.,Zhu, B.J., Shi, Y.L., 2012. Stress accumulation on the Longmenshan fault and recurrence interval of Wenchuan earthquake based on viscoelasticity simulation. Acta Geologica Sinica, 86(1) :157-169. (in Chinese)
6. Zhu, B.J., Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., 2012. Saturated dislocations transient propagation-evolution in olivine structure under ultra high-coupled thermal-force fields. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 58(1): 9-20.
5. Zhu, B.J., Cheng, H.H., Qiao, Y.C., Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., Zhang, K., Sun, D.S., Lin, W.R., 2012. Porosity and permeability evolution and evaluation in anisotropic porosity multiscale multiphase multicomponent structure. Chinese Science Bulletin, 57(4): 320-327.
4. Cheng, H.H., Qiao, Y.C., Liu, C., Li, Y.B., Zhu, B.J., Shi, Y.L., Sun, D.S. Zhang, K., Lin, W.R., 2012. Extended hybrid pressure and velocity boundary conditions for D3Q27 Latice Boltzmann model. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 36(5): 2031-2055.
3. Liu, C., Zhu, B.J., Shi, Y.L., 2011. Coseismic stress variation and numerical analysis of 2011 Japan–Honshu 9.0 earthquake. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 55(2):118-130.
2. Zhu, B.J., Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., Sun, D.S. Zhang, K.,2011. Application of flow driven pore-network crack model to Zipingpu reservoir and Longmenshan slip. Science China (D), 54(8):1532-1540.
1. Zhu, B.J., Liu, C., Shi, Y.L., 2010. Application of hypersingular integral equation method to earthquake fault of Wenchuan. Sciences and Technology Review, 28(5): 49-54. (in Chinese)
《Global Tectonics》(undergraduate course)
2013Eyes High fellowship, University of Calgary, Canada
2011First Prize for outstanding student in Research and Teaching Innovation program, Chinese Academy
Serving on academic journal
Reviewer of journals:Earth and Planetary Science Letters,Geophysical Journal International, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Science China (D), Human and Ecological Risk Assessment