Yulong Zhao Associate Professor
Office ：Ocean building 411B
Mailing Address：School of Ocean and Earth Science, Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092, China
2005.09-2012.02, Tongji University, PhD in Ocean Science (Successive MSc-PhD Program)
2008.09-2012.02, Université Paris-Sud, PhD in Paleoclimate (Cotutelle PhD Program)
2001.09-2005.06, Tongji University, BSc in Geology
2017.03-present, Tongji University, School of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Associate Professor
2015.01-2017.02, Tongji University, Institute for Advanced Study in Ocean Science, Assistant Researcher
2012.04-2014.12, Tongji University, School of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Postdoc
1. Sediment transport processes and dynamics in the South China Sea deep water
2. The Quaternary evolution of sedimentary environment and paleoclimate in the Mediterranean Sea
1. Reconstruction of paleo-current intensities in the northeastern South China Sea since the last glacial: sedimentological and geochemical approaches. NSFC General Program (No. 41776047), 2018.01-2021.12, CNY 730000, Principal Investigator;
2. The formation mechanism of the high-accumulation-rate sediment drift in the northeast South China Sea: sedimentological and geochemical approaches. Research Fund of the State Key Laboratory of Marine Geology (No. MG20180208), 2018.01-2019.12, CNY 300000, Principal Investigator;
3. The Quaternary evolution of the African monsoon: sedimentary and geochemical records. NSFC Young Scientists Program (No. 41306041), 2014.01-2016.12, CNY 260000, Principal Investigator;
4. Deepwater sedimentation since the Miocene in the central basin of the South China Sea and its regional tectonic and environmental evolution significance. NSFC Key Program (No. 41530964), 2016.01-2020.12，CNY 3520000, Participant;
5. Deep Sea sedimentation process and mechanism in the South China Sea. Integration Program of the NSFC Major Research Plan “South China Sea Deep” (No. 91528304), 2016.01-2018.12, CNY 3260000, Participant;
6. The impact of mesoscale eddies on the turbulence mixing in the deep northeast South China Sea. NSFC General Program (No. 41576005), 2016.01-2019.12, CNY 936000, Participant.
Zhao, Y.*, Colin, C., Liu, Z., Bonneau, L., Siani, G., 2016. Climate forcing of terrigenous sediment input to the central Mediterranean Sea since the early Pleistocene. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 108, 56–71.
Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., Zhang, Y., Li, J., Wang, M., Wang, W., Xu, J., 2015. In situ observation of contour currents in the northern South China Sea: Applications for deepwater sediment transport. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 430: 477-485.
Zhao, Y.*, Colin, C., Liu, Z., Paterne, M, Siani, G., Xie, X., 2012. Reconstructing precipitation changes in northeastern Africa during the Quaternary by clay mineralogical and geochemical investigations of Nile deep-sea fan sediments. Quaternary Science Reviews 57, 58–70.
Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., Colin, C., Paterne, M., Siani, G., Cheng, X., Duchamp-Alphonse, S., Xie, X., 2011. Variations of the Nile suspended discharges during the last 1.75 Myr. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 311, 230–241.
Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., Colin, C., Xie, X., Wu, Q., 2011. Turbidite deposition in the southern South China Sea during the last glacial: evidence from grain-size and major elements records. Chinese Science Bulletin 56, 3558–3565.
 Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., 2018. Spatial distribution of contourites in global ocean and its paleoclimatic significance. Advances in Earth Science, in press. (in Chinese with English Abstract)
 Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., 2007. The impacts of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) Event on earth surface cycles and its trigger mechanism. Advances in Earth Science, 22(4): 341–349. (in Chinese with English Abstract)
 Zhao, Y.*, Liu, Z., Cheng, X., Jian, Z., 2006. Dominance factors of the terrigenous sediment granulometric distribution in the lower Sunda Slope. Marine Geology & Quaternary Geology 26(2): 73–78. (in Chinese with English Abstract)